Outdoor lighting can enhance the beauty of your property and makes your home safer and more secure. Selecting the right-sized outdoor lantern can sometimes pose a challenge. Here are some ideas and suggestions, how to welcome your guests and yourself home while adding elegance, value and safety with proper outdoor lighting.
The height of an outdoor lantern should be based on the height of the door:
- If you place a lantern on only one side of the door, it should measure one-third the height of the door. The center of the bulb should rest 66″ above the threshold of the door.
- When two lanterns are used, they should each measure approximately one-fourth the height of the door. The center of the bulb should rest 66″ above the threshold of the door.
- In both cases above, if you choose a fixture with a long tail or top scroll, pay attention to the overall bulk of the fixture.
- Don’t Undersize Your Lanterns: As a rule of thumb, your lantern should appear to be about half the size of your door from 50′ away.
- TIP: When in doubt, always go larger.
Quality is of the utmost importance when it comes to outdoor lighting design and Hinkley lighting fixtures are some of the best in the world. They have a collection of outdoor lighting and landscape lighting are very complete.